Saturday 7 September 2013

Spicy Sweet Potato & Coconut Soup Recipe


I don’t know if it’s maybe just me, but there comes a time each year where I start to really crave soup for my breakfast lunch and dinner (complete with home-made seeded and all together wholesome bread). Perhaps it is the temperature, that smell of autumn in the air, or even just the idea of a warm and very easy meal.
I have been a really keen soup maker for about 4 years now. During my time working in a cafe, I would cover the chefs’ days off and have to make three big batches of soup a day. I tweaked each recipe to my satisfaction- I only served what I would like to eat myself!
What I have learned over that time is that improvising is really fun and can result in a gorgeous tasting end product to be proud of. (I also learned that celery is the special ingredient in ANY soup)
This soup was so random. I found what was in my cupboard and went ahead. So here is my recipe.


For a big batch that serves approx. 7
-Half a cup of lentils (not essential)
-Two large sweet potatoes (or 4 if no lentils)
-One branch of celery
- Three Knorr vegetable stock cubes
- Two white onions
- Half a red chili pepper
-Three table spoons of coconut milk
-Two cloves of garlic


I started the soup by softening the onions with a little light oil cooking spray. Once soft I then added the garlic, which I had flattened and cut up into little pieces. It is important not to burn the garlic! I then added the lentils and celery followed immediately by some freshly boiled water (personal preference how much to use, but I add gradually as to prevent the soup being too thin and runny). I then grated my sweet potato onto a plate. I grate it because it takes far less time to soften and cook and grating is easier than cutting it (for me anyway). After this I added two of the stock cubes. I add these gradually as well because there is nothing worse than an overly stocky soup!! Then I cut up half the chili and added.  After about ten minutes I blended, added another stock cube as well as the coconut milk. I blended  again and there we had the finished soup in as little as 15-20 minutes!


Best served hot with a cold class of water and a dash of cream.

Bon apetit!



  




2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness this looks so yum - I LOVE sweet potato! I think I might have to try this :)

    Also, I've nominated you for a Liebster award, I really like how your blog focuses on such a nice variety of topics, especially the health element. If you'd like to take part in the Liebster award, check the link below and it should tell you everything you need to know :)

    xoxo

    http://greensapphir.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/the-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha so do i, it tasted good in any way, shape or form!! You must try :)

    Aww thank you i am so humbled by everyone's love!:) nice motivation!

    I will do and will follow.

    Thanks

    Anna xo

    ReplyDelete